One of the frequent comments we hear from farmers when we mention land forming is “I don’t irrigate therefore I don’t need to consider landforming.”
While historically land forming was primarily used for flood irrigation, advances in landform design software have additionally improved surface drainage, while providing a significant reduction in earthworks (when compared to traditional planar levelling).
Field design solutions such as OptiSurface™ allow the designer to control the depth of cut and fill, as well as the locations of cuts and fills based drainage direction, soil types and other farming considerations. Combining these designs with GPS-based levelling solutions accelerates both the complexity and quality of the designs, allowing farmers to achieve significant results.
Benefits of Land Forming Solutions for Dryland Farming:
- Significant boost in yields
- Effective management of ponding and erosion
- Saves up to 80% on earthworks (compared to traditional planar levelling)
- Minimises topsoil disturbance
- Improved productivity by reducing the impact to planting and harvesting schedules caused by wet areas
- ROI that can be measured quickly, often within one crop cycle
- Ultimately, improved yield and profitability
If you would like to learn more, watch our short informative video that explains the process.